Requirements for the Antifraud system approved
The government has approved the requirements for the system for blocking calls and SMS from the Antifraud substitution numbers and the rules for its operation; the corresponding resolution of 03.11.2022 No. 1978 published on the official portal of legal information on Monday.
The document comes into force on January 1, 2023 and is valid for six years.
Recallat the end of October, the head of Roskomnadzor Andrey Lipov reported that the test operation of the Antifraud system would begin this year with the participation of several major telecom operators.
According to the government decree, the system is being created by the radio frequency service (FSUE “Main Radio Frequency Center”, GRCHTS) to comply with requirements of the law “On Communications” on blocking calls and SMS from spoof numbers. The radio frequency service will be the system operator.
The participants in the interaction with the system will be the radio frequency service, the Ministry of Digital Transformation, Roskomnadzor, telecom operators, as well as bodies engaged in operational-search activities. All telecom operators will have to connect their networks to the Antifraud system.
Also signed a resolution dated 03.11.2022 No. 1979 “On approval of the Rules for sending to the system for ensuring compliance by telecom operators with the requirements for the provision of communication services and services for passing traffic in a public communication network and obtaining information from this system”.
In what cases will operators send data to the system
According to Decree No. 1979, information is sent to the Antifraud system by telecom operators through automatic interaction of the system with the equipment of communication centers and (or) systems of telecom operators that provide receiving and transmitting information about calls and their status, in the following cases:
- when connecting a communication network (a fragment of a communication network) to a compliance system;
- when initiating a connection by a subscriber in a public communication network, including for the transmission of a short text message;
- when the telecom operator completes the establishment of a connection in the telephone network, including for the transmission of a short text message;
- when transiting traffic through the communication network of the telecom operator, including for the transmission of a short text message;
- upon completion of the establishment or transit of international traffic, including for the transmission of a short text message through the communication network of the telecom operator;
- upon completion of the connection establishment or transit of traffic for the purpose of transmitting voice information through the communication network of the telecom operator;
- upon receipt from the compliance system of information about the absence of information about the initiation of a connection by the subscriber, including for the transmission of a short text message.
As stated in Decree No. 1978, the system will analyze telephone numbers, unique subscriber identification codes that initiate telephone calls, SMS or voice messages; identify compounds for which no initiation information is available; provide operators with information about the absence of reliable information about the initiation of a connection; monitor compliance by operators with the requirements to ban traffic from spoof numbers; identify cases of violation by operators of the requirements of the law “On Communications” to block calls and SMS from spoof numbers.
The system will process information about subscriber numbers and unique identification codes of subscribers initiating calls (including calls, SMS, voice messages); information about the numbers of subscribers who received the call; information about additional numbers used for call forwarding; data on the date and time of connection establishment; information about communication networks involved in traffic transmission; information about established connections from substitution numbers.
As wrote D-Russia.ru, the prohibition of number substitution is established by law, signed president in June 2021. The law also provides for the obligation of operators to transfer the necessary information to the system in order to identify fraudsters.
Responsibility for telecom operators for skipping a call from a replacement number was introduced by federal law dated December 31, 2021 No. 480-FZ. The first penalty for such an offense was discharged in August 2022.
Calls from spoof numbers can be used by attackers to spread false reports about terrorist acts, information that poses a threat of harm to the life and health of citizens, their property, as well as to interfere with the operation of transport, social infrastructure, credit organizations, energy facilities and other social significant areas.
The most common type of crime committed with spoof numbers is telephone fraud.
See also: Kaspersky Lab on the situation with telephone fraud in the first half of the year >>>